Lake James Christian Assembly, located on the south end of the first basin of beautiful Lake James was a large resort area known as Palty-Town. An electric railroad ran from Angola to Lake James and a fleet of excursion boats were anchored at its beach. A three-story hotel, a grocery store, post office and a large dance hall occupied its plush grounds. In the early 1920's some men from the Angola community were shocked at the "carrying-ons" at the resort. Prohibition was the law, however liquor was smuggled in and the roaring 20's atmosphere prevailed.
In 1928, the railroad had closed and activities were ceasing causing the sale of the resort. A group of men from the Angola Christian Church met and decided to buy the resort. One man obtained a personal loan of $800 for the down payment and twelve men signed a mortgage for $15,000.
During the summer of 1930, the first youth camp weeks were introduced. Today, Lake James Christian Assembly has a fully graded program of study for youth from grades 1 through 12. Besides the nine week summer youth program, the camp offers many other programs for youth, adults and families. The facilities are used twelve months a year. From September through May we offer two retreat facilities for church groups to schedule their own programs.